Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What Kind of Car Would I Be?

In my teaching demo, and in classes this semester, as an icebreaker, I've asked students, "if you were a car, what kind of car would you be?"

In both cases I avoided questions about my answer. I had a pat answer that was no longer valid, and I recognized that my identity had changed but hadn't had the time or motivation to find a more accurate response.

So, new answer: I'm a 2006 Honda Element. Atomic blue. The vehicle tends to defy classification, but generally gets lumped with SUV's. The height and shape make it stand out. The design is thoroughly practical. The rubber floor and walls can be hosed out. There are minimal buttons, lights and switches. Fewer things to break. The most amazing part of the on-board computer may be that you don't realize it's there - but it makes decisions re: power supply, time for maintenance, etc. It's also functional. The rear seats are ingeniously designed to fold down, fold up and out of the way for a van-like experience, or come out: all with no tools and minimal effort. Perhaps most importantly, you can depend on it. It's reliable.

Some things might be unpleasantly analogous to my effect on students. The unusual styling grows on one - but first impressions tend to be negative, and the suicide doors look cool but are a bit pretentious. It isn't made for off-roading but it looks like it ought to be.

I heard a funny story about the marketing of this car. Forbes mag notes that it was very intentionally created for the active 20-something market. Looking around at owner fora (forums?) the mean age seems like 43. Owners are unemployed adolescents or much older, and.... Something unexpected happened. It appealed to a different demographic more than it appealed to the demographic it was designed for.

FYI: the slogan from the Honda website = "Unorthodox: built for those who live their own unique way." I do challenge orthodoxies on a daily basis - pretty much can't help it. Real character flaw in polite society.

[photos from http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z10764/Honda-Element.aspx]

No comments:

Post a Comment