Saturday, July 18, 2009

Acceptable language

From the age of 10 until I started teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) I swore like a drunken muleskinner (the coarseness of muleskinner invective can make a sailor blush). College classes in general and English classes in particular are tolerant of crude or graphic language, but some understanding and agreement early on is warranted.

I will cede to the will of the class with 2 codicils: blasphemy and hate speech/ labels - blasphemy because it is for many the ultimate show of contempt, and also because it tends to end dialogue. "But how," you might ask. "can you get away with the picture in this post?" I'll argue context. I might also admit to irony. I like irony. Sarcasm, however, bores me.

Hate speech can be tricky. Used to be being in or of a referenced group provided immunity - but Perez Hilton suffered physically and in public opinion since he called Will.I.Am a "f***** NOTE: in blogging there is a practice of disemvoweling text that often works. But sometimes, as in the n word, even that wouldn't be adequate.)

Does the law recognize "fighting words"?

My sentiment - avoid labels. To paraphrase Nietzsche, when you label someone, you negate them. Being negated bites. Labels of race, gender, and/or sexuality carry mondo baggage; however, we live in an imperfect world and this is a learning environment. Mistakes are inevitable, so be tolerant and open-minded. When someone slips up be calm in bringing it to their attention, but don't avoid helping someone learn something useful. For fun and a discussion point, go to this wiki page.

PS. Can anyone tell me where I took this picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment