Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cool resources, free learning materials, fun stuff

Laughing Squid (a blog I like) points us to a Free Music Archive. You can download music legally and, according to laughing squid, use it pretty much however you want. If you find something good here let me know and I can use it as a soundtrack on video I produce for our class.

Other blogs I like are Open Culture, which will give heads up to great cultural content on the web, like the top educational and cultural videos. Have a dry professor? You can find the best of the ivy league holding forth on biology, physics, literature, you name it. AND you can download it to your personal media device.

The Philosophy Monkey bills itself as "your source for humor, edumacation and critical thinking" (all in our objectives) though they don't publish as often as I'd like.

I like BoingBoing.net, but I stopped following, less because of the infrequent posts on drug or sex related topics (be forewarned) and more because it's so prolific. There are sometimes 40 or 50 posts a day.

Do you use and aggregator (feed catcher, feed reader)? It collects the RSS feeds from blogs (or podcasts) you want to follow and makes web research much more convenient. I use bloglines (click to view my account). It's about the most popular and the organization is intuitive for me. It also makes following my favorite comics easier (with the exceptions of Doonesbury and Baby Blues - they force you to visit their site).

No comments:

Post a Comment